Monday, July 12, 2010

Delivering your message

Free Clipart Picture of a Chalkboard. Click Here to Get Free Images at Clipart Guide.com
Thanks for stopping by - I'm excited to share some thoughts, rants and questions with you.

In case you didn't know, I had been hanging out here for a while but am now on my own and figured why stop sharing and exchanging ideas just because I can't fill in the "Company Name" field any longer?  So let's get going and see where this takes us, shall we?

Today is my husband's birthday. I won't share his age, but he will always be older than me.  And in our kitchen is a small chalkboard where I will post messages for the kids - everything from "Make Good Choices" to "Happy July 4th". The kids love to see if it has changed each morning (or week) and what the new message is.

This morning my son look sad and told me he was disappointed that the message on the chalkboard still read "It's Summer Time" and not "Happy Birthday Daddy".  I quickly made the change and his smile returned. Doesn't take much to get back on his good side.

But it got me thinking about how messages are delivered and how our expectations are set for them. Do we want regular, updated statuses or do we want to be able to control when we receive information?

I was recently hounded by Verizon because I was over my texting limit (for one month out of the 60 I've been a customer) and they felt the need to repeatedly call my cell phone only to hang up when I answered. What kind of message were they sending? Perhaps it was, we will make you go over on your minutes to match your texts by calling you every hour or so.  I'm not sure. I only know it was Verizon because my frustration forced me to call the number back only to be hung up on again.

Whether it is words on a chalkboard, poor efforts at customer service or 140 characters online, there are messages thrown at us 365 and companies should take pause to be sure the message they're sending is the one they want received.

No comments:

Post a Comment