Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mass Innovation Nights Take 16

When I left the house at 5:30 to head to Mass Innovation Nights at the Waltham IBM Innovation Center I really didn't know what a great night it was going to be.

As part of the inaugural event many moons ago, I knew the concept and the premise behind MassInno. I just didn't realize how much it had grown up and how many fantastic people attend and "exhibit" at the event.

Take for example, CleanJourney. They're goal is to create talent communities for individuals looking to work for Green or Clean Tech companies around the country, including New England. KC from CleanJourney bravely answered questions about his soon-to-be-launched web site and company ranking system with confidence and excitement for the concept.  It was refreshing.

I was also impressed with Episend - a start up that has developed a way to allow users to create content that can be emailed without the hassle of attaching large files.  Simply create your template, insert your content, create a link and email it. Voila! On the other end the recipient can open your masterpiece and enjoy the content without dealing with 16 attachments that may or may not bounce when you send it. (And as the founder explained to me, the system will also auto-format images so when your family member sends that 5 MB image that opens up to only reveal someones ear until you resize it, you'll be able to see the whole image.)

I'll be honest, I didn't get to try one of the electric bikes, but the crowd seemed to love Pietzo's new mode of transportation.   And they even provided helmets for bike safety. Score one for that!

Drupal Gardens had a great presentation outlining the ease and flexibility of their SaaS based system for rapid deployment of web sites.  There was also Real Cool TV whose presenter noted something I thought to be very poignant - complicated things can be explained much easier by using video. So true!

Between the July experts, shaking hands, sharing stories and meeting new people I know I didn't get to see and talk to all of the Innovators.  Next month I have it on my calendar again because I've heard rumors some of the Innovators will help fill up your bellies. You in? August 11 for MIN17.

No comments:

Post a Comment