Friday, July 16, 2010

Love the Hash (tag)

I've seen some marketing - social media - social marketing - bloggers - tweet that it's time to lay off the hash tags (#) used on Twitter. The hash tag originated as a way to make search easier on Twitter. If you were referencing a product, person or location, you would place the hash tag at the beginning of the word (i.e. #Boston).

Over time, it was used as a clever way to mash together more than one word given the character restrictions of Twitter.  It then morphed into identifiers and funny anecdotes.  For example, one of my favorite hash tags is #wineoclock. Other frequently used hash tags include #justsayin, #followfriday (now commonly typed as #FF), and #tweetup.

I'd agree there are some users that clearly overuse the hash tag, but I like the concept and when done for fun I find them entertaining.  When applied to a cause or movement, they can be effective. When used during events, it keeps the stream of conversation clean and focused.

Since it's Friday, and in an effort to keep it light going into the weekend,  I'll share with you a few people that I follow on Twitter and some of the clever hash tags they've used recently that made me smile, think, act or laugh out loud:

  • @JoselinMane - #antennagate (referring to the recent iPhone 4 problems)
  • @iamreff - #iholidayshopallyearround (so do I!)
  •  @jeffcutler - #wwjce (series of What Would Jeff Cutler Eat? tweets and blogs)
  •  @DougH - #redsox #celtics #patriots #bruins (ahhhh...sports fan)

Obviously there are several ways to apply the hash tag concept for both business and pleasure. Go ahead #getyourhashtagon

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I agree that hashtags are mostly useful for fun now (oh, and events). Twitter search is useful enough on one word topics.

    I too love Jeff's WWJE, but let me add #aquapocalypse and #heatapocalypyse. Hell anything with the -pocalypse suffix works for me.

    ReplyDelete